Hauppauge Attorneys Pursue Compensation for Injured Motorcyclists
New York law firm seeks justice for victims of motorcycle accidents
It’s not hard to understand why motorcycle accidents leave victims with serious, often life-threatening injuries: riders are open to the elements on a vehicle smaller than any other on the road, lacking a car’s protective air bags, safety belts and windshields. In New York, in 2014, there were 4,750 motorcycle crashes leading to 148 fatalities and over 4,600 injuries. When those injuries are caused by the negligent actions of another, you have a right to seek compensation. At the Long Island law firm of Reynolds, Caronia, Gianelli & La Pinta, P.C., we represent bikers, pedestrians and others who have been hurt in wrecks involving motorcycles. With more than 30 years of combined experience, our attorneys fight for the damages you deserve.
Understanding the causes of motorcycle accidents
Motorcycles are more maneuverable than most other vehicles, but that doesn’t stop them from getting into accidents. Common causes of bike wrecks in the Central Islip area include:
- Poor visibility. Motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles, making it more difficult for drivers of cars and trucks to see them on the road. Autos often collide with bikes by cutting them off, turning into their lane or switching lanes without signaling.
- Reckless driving. While most bikers ride safely, others practice dangerous behaviors such as weaving through traffic or speeding. The most reckless may collide with other vehicles after attempting stunts such as wheelies.
- Not paying attention. Drivers of other vehicles rarely take the time or effort to look out for motorcycles. One type of accident that is extremely common involves drivers carelessly making left turns and hitting oncoming bikers that they should have seen.
Distracted driving, intoxication and drowsiness are also common causes of motorcycle crashes, just as they are for other vehicular accidents. Our attorneys represent both motorcyclists and those who have been hit by a motorcycle.
Common motorcycle wreck injuries
Riders and their passengers are susceptible to injuries from head-on collisions, rear-end wrecks and T-bone crashes, especially when they aren’t wearing helmets or other safety gear. Some of the most frequent types of injury suffered in bike accidents include:
- Road rash. Sliding on pavement can rip off flesh and grate bone.
- Traumatic brain injuries. When a head hits pavement or another surface, concussion or other types of brain injury can result.
- Back and neck injuries. Bikers often land on their backs or their necks, damaging vertebrae, discs and muscles.
- Leg injuries. A rider’s legs are completely unprotected and can be crushed in accidents.
- Broken bones. When riders use their hands to break their fall, bones in the hand, wrist or arms can shatter.
- Muscle damage. Muscles can be damaged through impacts with other vehicles and falls onto road surfaces.
Even the most cautious biker is likely to be involved in an accident at some point in his life. Our skilled attorneys represent those who have been hurt in crashes as well as the families of those who have been killed in bike accidents.
Seek help from an experienced attorney after a New York motorcycle accident
After an accident involving a motorcycle, you are likely to be suffering from serious injuries. The Hauppauge personal injury attorneys at the firm of Reynolds, Caronia, Gianelli & La Pinta, P.C. can pursue compensation on your behalf. To schedule a free consultation with a compassionate attorney, call us now at 631-231-1199 or contact us online.