Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Hauppauge, NY Offer Personal Representation
Accomplished lawyers who work with you
When you enter a hospital, clinic or doctor’s office, you expect to receive the best care and attention possible from medical professionals. Negligence or poor decision-making by doctors and nurses may result in serious injuries, illnesses or long-term disabilities. The medical malpractice lawyers at in Hauppauge provide personal attention and dedicated service when you’re dealing with the aftermath of the injuries, helping you seek compensation from healthcare organizations, insurance companies and other responsible parties.
Medical malpractice may take various forms
Medical malpractice is a broad term that describes preventable errors made by hospital staff and medical practitioners. Unfortunately, medical malpractice is estimated to claim around 98,000 lives annually in the United States alone. Some of the most common forms include:
- Misdiagnosis: This is when a doctor fails to accurately diagnose a condition. While patients cannot expect their doctors to be right 100 percent of the time, misdiagnosis becomes medical malpractice when any other doctor behaving in a prudent manner would have made a better decision. Misdiagnosis has the unfortunate dual impact of delaying or preventing the appropriate treatment from being administered, while causing patients to be administered treatments that may have adverse health effects.
- Failure to diagnose: Failure to diagnose is similar to misdiagnosis in that it often has the effect of a patient suffering due to lack of appropriate medical care. Failure to diagnose can be considered medical malpractice if a proper diagnosis could have reasonably been expected sooner. Often, the tragedy of failure to diagnose is the patient’s worsening, and possibly even dying of a treatable condition.
- Surgical errors: Surgical errors often include wrong-body-site or wrong-side-of-the-body surgeries, and are considered “never events” because they should never occur. Other types of surgical errors involve leaving medical equipment inside the body, or administering the wrong procedure to a patient. Surgical errors often cause lengthy recovery times because corrective surgery is often required to rectify the mistake, if possible.
- Medication errors: Medical errors typically occur when a physician fails to administer the appropriate medication for a patient’s condition or fails to administer medication entirely. In both cases, this type of negligence can lead to a worsening of a patient’s condition and even death.
- Birth injuries: Birth injuries are often the result of preventable trauma during delivery. Contorting, stretching, pulling or exerting too much pressure on a newborn during delivery can lead to a wide range of birth injuries, including Erb’s Palsy, cerebral palsy and brachial plexus injuries.
Speak with a dedicated medical malpractice attorney in Hauppauge, NY
To take action after an injury or illness suffered due to the negligence of a medical professional, consult the lawyers at in Hauppauge. We are very experienced in medical law. Our office is conveniently located off the Long Island Expressway. For a free initial consultation, call 631-231-1199 or contact us online.
Se habla español ● We speak Spanish
Si parla italiano ● We speak Italian