Experienced Car Accident Attorneys on Long Island, New York
Aggressive service and personal attention after a serious motor vehicle crash
In 2012, there were 30,477 auto accidents in Suffolk County alone. Many car accidents result in serious injury to drivers or passengers. We have handled thousands of car accident-related cases over the years since our firm was founded in 1982.
Common auto accidents in New York
Motor vehicle accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, and they are so common that car-to-car collisions account for more than 44 percent of cases of automotive damage in the state. While not every accident is preventable, some may be due to reckless driving or DWI. It’s helpful to be aware of the most common types of vehicle crashes in New York:
- Rear-end collisions: These collisions typically occur as the result of rapid braking on the part of the lead car. However, even though the lead car may have initiated the action that led to the accident, liability typically rests with the driver of the rear car, as it’s assumed that the rear driver was not keeping a safe enough braking distance to anticipate the other car’s actions.
- Head-on collisions: Head-on collisions typically occur at intersections, where one car is attempting to turn and another is proceeding through the intersection. These types of collisions often result in a fatality.
- Sideswipe collisions: These crashes often only result in minor vehicular damage, as they usually only involve minimal contact. However, they can become quite dangerous if one driver loses control following the collision.
- Side impact collisions: The impact in these collisions centers directly on the struck car’s passenger compartment. This may result in massive vehicular damage, serious bodily injury and death.
Our firm has experience advocating for victims in all vehicle accidents, including cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, mopeds and pedestrian-vehicle accidents.
Seeking compensation after a car accident
The moments directly following a vehicle accident can be confusing and it can be difficult to know what to do. Fortunately, there are some easy steps to remember to ensure that you are protecting your interests:
- Make sure everyone is okay: The most important thing to do after an accident is to tend to the injured and call 911 immediately if anybody is hurt.
- Start talking to witnesses: Take the accounts of bystanders and witnesses and gather any necessary contact information to follow up later. Avoid making any admissions of fault or apologizing, as this can negatively impact your case.
- Call your insurance company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible and seek an estimate on the damage to your vehicle.
- Contact your attorney: An attorney can help you secure the best claim from your insurance company and provide you with guidance if you need to file a personal injury claim.
If you believe you were at fault for an accident, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Avoid making any insurance claims to any liability insurance carrier before consulting with a lawyer, as it may result in you paying unnecessary damages later.
Contact a client-focused auto accident lawyer in Hauppauge, NY today
For responsive legal assistance after your vehicle accident, call 631-231-1199 or contact us online. We offer free initial consultations and have members on our team who speak Spanish and Italian. Reynolds, Caronia, Gianelli & La Pinta, P.C. is centrally located off the Long Island Expressway. We serve injured people across Nassau and Suffolk counties. Our office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and after hours if necessary. If your injuries prevent you from coming to our office, we can arrange for a meeting at your home, hospital or rehabilitation center.
Se habla español ● We speak Spanish
Si parla italiano ● We speak Italian