Experienced Narcotic Crime Defense Lawyers in Hauppauge, NY
A reputable team of attorneys to help fight drug charges
Drug laws in New York can be confusing. While the state has made significant changes to drug crimes in recent years, the penalties can still be extremely harsh. For personal and aggressive representation, contact the respected criminal defense lawyers at Reynolds, Caronia, Gianelli & La Pinta, P.C.. Our attorneys provide personal attention to every client by being available 24/7.
What are the different types of drug offenses?
Many people that are arrested for drug possession in New York are subject to many other charges, such as intent to distribute or the possession of drug paraphernalia. To help shed light on the subject, here are the most common types of drug charges:
- Possession: If you are charged with possessing drugs on your person, in your car or in your home, the law presumes that you had knowledge of the drugs and voluntarily possessed them.
- Possession with intent to distribute: This charge depends on several factors. Authorities may witness a drug deal or find drugs packaged for sale with scales or paraphernalia. Or, they may determine intent to sell by the quantity of drugs in your possession.
- Prescription drug fraud: The possession of an altered prescription for drugs may lead to charges of prescription drug fraud or possession of a forged instrument. In some situations, this charge may extend to anybody who provided you with the drugs, including pharmacists, doctors and nurses.
- Drug paraphernalia: Paraphernalia is a broad category describing anything that is used to cultivate, prepare or ingest drugs. This includes bongs, hypodermic needles and drug purity testing kits.
- Trafficking: Drug trafficking offenses are some of the most serious drug charges one can face. Depending on a variety of issues, including the type and quantity of drugs sold, you may be required to forfeit any personal property affiliated with the trafficking operation, such as your home or car. Narcotic trafficking offenses are often charged in federal court.
- Drug manufacturing: As with most drug charges, the quantity and type of drug matter with manufacturing offenses. Whether the offense involves growing marijuana in your home or methamphetamine manufacturing, you may face incarceration if convicted.
Most drug charges in New York have to do with some of the most commonly abused drugs, including marijuana, heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, oxycodone and other prescription drugs. Depending on the quantity and type of drug in your possession, the penalties can vary drastically, even for a first offense. The penalties may be more serious if a drug offense is charged together with a violent crime.
A Long Island criminal defense law firm dedicated to your legal rights
If you facing drug charges in New York State court or in federal court, contact the experienced and skilled criminal defense lawyers with Reynolds, Caronia, Gianelli & La Pinta, P.C.. We offer free initial consultations and flexible office hours, so contact us online or call our offices at 631-231-1199. We represent clients throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties.
Se habla español ● We speak Spanish
Si parla italiano ● We speak Italian